Outlander Adventure Small-Group Day Tour from Edinburgh
Leave Edinburgh and travel back in time as your driver-guide takes you over the Queensferry Crossing to Culross.
This virtually-unchanged 16th-century village overlooks the sea and poses as the fictional town of Cranesmuir. You have time to visit Claire’s herb garden, explore the palace, or wander the ancient streets while you imagine what life must have been like 400 years ago.
You journey past Stirling Castle and the Wallace Monument to Doune Castle, or as it’s called in Outlander, Castle Leoch. This formidable building gives you an insight into the living conditions of a Scottish earl in the 14th century. You can also listen to an excellent audio guide about how this castle was used as a filming location for Monty Python and the Holy Grail.
Your next stop is Linlithgow Palace. Here you have time to enjoy beautiful views to the Forth bridges, have a picnic by the loch, and explore the ruins of Mary Queen of Scots’ birthplace. And if you’re feeling brave, you can visit the spot where that gruesome Outlander scene took place.
You then travel the short distance to Blackness Castle. It’s an impressive castle that’s known as the ‘ship that never sailed’ because it resembles a giant stone boat. You have time to walk along the ramparts and explore the fictional headquarters of Jack Randall.
Midhope Castle* is your next highlight. Unfortunately, visitors are unable to go inside the castle, but Jamie’s lovely Lallybroch home is still an essential photo opportunity for any fan of the show.
Before we head back to Edinburgh, you have a final stop in the colourful harbour area of South Queensferry.
*Midhope Castle closes for the season on 21st December 2019 therefore this tour will not visit Midhope Castle until it reopens in April 2020 (exact date TBC). During this winter closure, you will spend more time enjoying the other locations on this tour.
|Best price guarantee|
|No hidden costs|
|Minimum age: 5 years|
What is included
Top range 16-seat Mercedes mini-coach
The stories and services of an English-speaking driver-guide
Small Group Tour (maximum 16 passengers)
Not wheelchair accessible
Min. age 5 years old. We do not accept children under the age of 5 years.
Luggage Allowance: You're restricted to 14kg (31lbs) of luggage per person on our tours. This should be one piece of luggage similar to an airline carry-on bag (approximately 55cm x 45cm x 25cm / 22in x 17in x 10in) plus a small bag for onboard personal items.
Check in closes 15 minutes prior to departure
- In order to retain the integrity of the tour and try to ensure that all our customers have the best possible experience, we do cap bookings from any one party to 8 passengers.
- Culross Palace – due to Covid19 restrictions, the visit to Culross Palace will be a photo stop only, no internal visit of the palace is available at this time. You will have plenty of time to explore the village of Culross though!
- COVID-19 - Important Information About Your Tour
- We’re following government guidance and doing everything we can to ensure you enjoy a worry-free adventure. This means you need to be aware of a few things before you join your tour.
- Our Safety ProceduresYou’re required to wear a face covering onboard our mini-coachesYou’ll receive a quick temperature check at your departure pointThere’s a short COVID-19 questionnaire to answer when you arriveOur mini-coaches have allocated seating to comply with one-metre indoor social distancing rulesHand sanitiser is provided onboard our mini-coachesWhen outside of our mini-coach, please comply with all government and 3rd party guidance regarding the control of COVID-19Tour routes may change slightly, and certain attractions and facilities may be closed due to the Coronavirus. But don’t worry, your knowledgeable driver-guide will ensure you enjoy the best experience possible.
Things have changed a little. Castles, distilleries, and a few of our favourite places now require you to book ahead. This lets them comply with social distancing rules without getting in the way of your enjoyment. If you’re interested in visiting the attractions on your tour, you will find details on how to book them in advance on your ticket once you have purchased this tour.
For your optional attraction tickets you must reserve your time slot in advance. Please use the link printed on your voucher.
Meeting Point Information
MEETING: 6 Waterloo Pl, Edinburgh EH1 3EG, Scotland, GB